Moving Right Along on the Inclusions Table...

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Wed Dec 20 18:24:54 CET 2006

On 12/20/06, Harald Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no> wrote:

> Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> > On
> >

> >> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:58:43 +0100
> >>
> Ken,
>
> at a more 10.000 foot level:
> are you of the opinion that an IDNA restriction rule, in order to be
> viable, needs to include:
>
> - A (short) table of rules based on existing Unicode properties
> (including "script")
> - An exclusion table, excluding charcters that are included by the rules
> - An inclusion table, including characters that are excluded by the rules
> - A set of context dependent rules, saying that certain characters can
> only be used in certain combinations?

Yes, that's a good restatement.

I think this may be a correct conclusion to draw from the discussion so
> far, but does mean that we have admitted that we need to examine the
> codeset character by character, at some level.

Ken has been making suggestions for reductions which are really also based
on classes of characters, just ones that are not formalized as Unicode
properties. Frankly, few of them would cause spoofing problems, and I
wouldn't bother with them at all except that insofar as they are clearly not
used by modern languages, they are safe to exclude. Once such cases are
eliminated, then I don't think it is productive to continue on that line,
since other techniques, such as mixed-script detection, are far more
powerful.

Harald