Leaving out scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteria for exceptional characters))

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Wed Dec 20 17:31:09 CET 2006

I tend to agree with Michael on the usefulness of disallowing mixed scripts.
All security is a matter of degree, and once we have removed some of the
symbols and punctuation that are confusable with syntax characters,
disallowing mixed scripts swamps almost every other mechanism in terms of
reducing spoofing opportunities. (The other big one is flagging (eg showing
punycode for) any script that the user doesn't know, the IE7 approach.)

I am not yet, however, so sure that it should be baked into the protocol.
This is a pretty big hammer, and it may be better to leave it to the
registrars and/or the user-agents, which have a lot more flexibility. It is
very simple for a user-agent to have a mixed-script test, and then loosen it
for particular languages where the spoofing opportunities don't arise (eg
mixing Latin and Devanagari).

Mark