Mixtures of scripts

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Mon Dec 18 20:29:31 CET 2006

At 9:45 AM -0800 12/18/06, Mark Davis wrote:
>I don't think it is necessary. If mixtures of scripts are not
>displayed (eg the user-agent flags them as discussed before), then
>they are not a problem. If mixtures of scripts *are* allowed, then
>there are so many other problems (eg with Cyrillic) that these pale
>in comparison.

There is nothing in the current version of
draft-klensin-idnabis-issues that prohibits "mixtures of scripts".
The only place where anything like that is mentioned is a single
sentence in 2.1.6:

    Registry restrictions might include prohibition of
    mixed-script labels, or restrictions on labels permitted in a zone if
    certain other labels are already present (See [RFC3743] and [RFC4290]
    for discussion of some of the methods that have been applied by some
    registries).

Please note that this says "might", and that it is about registries
and not the protocol itself. Thus, assuming that "mixtures of
scripts" are not allowed is incorrect.

If someone wants to this protocol to disallow mixtures of scripts, we
need to see the specific way that will be done. Until then, we should
assume that the current IDNA rules about mixing (namely: none) are in
effect.