What rules have been used for the current list of codepoints?

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sun Dec 17 17:49:58 CET 2006

Hi Martin,

The issue is not that a company might spoof itself. It is that a
domain owner might set up a tricky subdomain like these:

http://www.paypal.de⁄_login.cgi.de
http://www.paypal.de∕_login.cgi.de
http://www.paypal.de〳_login.cgi.de
http://www.paypal.deノ_login.cgi.de

These are using the slash-lookalikes U+2044, 2215, 3033 and 30CE that
I listed at nameprep.org a while ago. It looks like Firefox has put
some protection in place for the first 3, but not for the last. Of
course, that curvy character does not really look like a slash to most
people, but maybe some would be fooled? I don't know.

Erik