[OT] Client display of languages (was: Re: What rules have been used...)

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Sat Dec 16 00:37:46 CET 2006

> > Most email clients have a user interface in a single language. That
> > would be the default language to use for IDN display. Some clients may
> > even allow the user to specify multiple languages, as browsers do.
>
> I find it very convenient that my email client displays Russian spam in
> Russian characters. I can instantly recognize that as Russian, and know
> that the sender has no interest in communicating with me.

But do you mean as mojibake Russian (i.e. KOI-8 misinterpreted
and displayed as Latin-1 letters in your email client) or
actually as Russian?

It seems to me that in either case, if you don't read Russian,
you would immediately know that the sender has no interest
in communicating with you.

> I prefer that form of display. I may not be the only one.

I certainly use the fact that my 8859-1 email client can't display
Russian or Chinese or Korean to make it easy to delete lots of
spam in a hurry that makes it through corporate filters. But
now I've started getting lots of Turkish spam as well, and
that arrives almost legible, even though I don't read Turkish.
Ah well. ;-)

--Ken

P.S. I *do* read Chinese, but I'm pretty sure that some fluid
engineering firm in Shanghai doesn't *really* want to communicate
with me -- they just want lots of people to buy their services.