What rules have been used for the current list of codepoints?

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Fri Dec 15 08:32:40 CET 2006

On 14 dec 2006, at 23.43, John C Klensin wrote:

> (3) We cannot establish a principle that strings coming into IDNA
> (or Nameprep) must already be normalized (to NFC at least). The
> rule that NFKC(cp) must equal cp is well and good, but, taken by
> itself,  I think it eliminates all sequences involving combining
> characters for which there are precombined sequences and may have
> some other ill effects.  Am I missing something in this, or does
> the rule need further refinement (note that this interacts with (1)
> above).

True.

What I always have been working with with my tables are the
codepoints that should be allowed and in the IDNA strings AFTER
nameprep. We can then later see what larger set of codepoints we can
allow as input to nameprep.

Or, an alternative view is "we do not specify nameprep at all, we do
not care, these are the allowed codepoints", although that is a bit
"too much" possibly...

    Patrik