Table-building

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Dec 14 23:49:01 CET 2006

To remind people of something else that was said on the call, we
are really looking, I think, for a three-state table consisting
of
    Clearly yes now
    Not yet: need advice, refinement, and/or an identified user
community
    Clearly no, now and forever.

rather than "ok" and "not ok".

Someone suggested on the call that many additional gradations
are possible within the second category.  Certainly that is
true.  I don't know how useful it would be in practice to try to
tease them out, but people who are convinced that it is should
certainly try to do that.

One of the implications of the three-state model is that we
don't need to settle the question of which scripts are
sufficiently archaic to be excluded: we put the lot of them into
the middle category and see if a community of users of the
script comes forward and makes a case for using it (or part of
it) in domain names.