What rules have been used for the current list of codepoints?

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Thu Dec 14 09:51:37 CET 2006

On 13 dec 2006, at 17.45, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> I have no idea how consensus on this list is measured

As an editor of the document, I make a suggestion based on what I
personally feel people think is a good idea, and then I see whether
anyone object within a time limit that is say a week or so. It all
depends somewhat on when I have time to work on the various projects
I work on.

> , but *I* am absolutely sure that Lm and Nd need to be added.

Exactly. A good start of finding a consensus. Crisp statement, easy
to say "yes" or "no" to.

> In
> fact, using the formulation you are using here for rules,
> the whole list of rules should be reconstructed as:
>
> 1. If class is [Ll, Lm, Lo, Mn, Mc, Nd], the code point is ok
> 2. If NFKC(cp) != cp, the code point is not ok
> 3. If lowercase(cp) != cp, the code point is not ok

Ok

You must also include [A-Z].

> And that is pretty much exactly what I stated in the November 30
> contribution.
>
> And the results from that are posted at:
>
> http://www.unicode.org/~whistler/SPLlLoLmMnMcNdStableCaseNFKC.txt
>
>> I also have a suggestion that rule 2 above should be removed, that I
>> went one step too far in conclusions from earlier discussions.
>>
>> Do I see a consensus on this list that I should remove rule 2?
>
> Again I do not understand how you judge consensus, but stated
> that way, yes, remove rule 2.
>
> Furthermore, clearly you need to remove your rule 1.

Hmmm...I have got some requests to not include IPA Extensions, and
here might be an issue where I do not see consensus.

    Patrik